Ten years, this year. Yes, that’s how long we’ve been married. We celebrated our anniversary in our quiet way – just the two of us holidaying in Goa – the place we got married in. At the end of ten years, and at the ripe old age of 52, I can say the best part of our marriage is that he gets me! Yes, that’s the biggest blessing, because I’m afraid that most times my family of origin cannot fathom my choices and behavior! They find me a bit too much to handle! Also, I’ve lost quite a few friends over the years because of differences of opinion and the fact I’ve made not to allow anyone to dictate my choices.
He gets me!
With José it’s easy for me to say what I feel and know that he won’t be shocked. It’s easy to be authentic. He’s not embarrassed by me raising my voice (unlike my Dad who often told me to speak softly) or taking on someone. He gets that I need to stand up for myself. Quite simply, he gets that I’m an independent woman and gives me the space to be me.
But he also gets my goat! Ha, ha. Yes, today’s prompt is about 5 things about your partner that irritate you and I’m sorry I’m going to throw you under the bus, José.
- One of the things that irritates me, is a common problem that I’m sure most women face with their male partners. I dare not share a problem or an issue with him without him starting to give me a solution. Once you understand that men move into problem solving mode because they don’t want you to be hurt or struggle with something, it’s easy to accept.
- Another thing that irritates me is that he’s almost always right. I’m often quite naive and tend to go headlong into things and generously offer my time and effort to people and causes. He’s pretty good at reading situations and people and will sometimes warn me ahead about how things are going to turn out. Nine times out of ten, José’s predictions are right.
- He’s messier than I am. We’re both pretty messy, especially about our study tables and reading area. Too much stuff and not sorted out too. I guess I’ve always hoped that I’d have someone to clean up for me. No such luck!
- He calls me out on bull****. This kind of goes hand in hand with #2. Now it’s not always a comfortable feeling to have someone telling you that you’re hiding behind excuses. So let me put it down in the ‘things that irritate me’ list, as much as I appreciate it.
- He doesn’t like surprises. If you’re a Leo, you’ll know that surprises, gift-giving and receiving are things we love. José does try to surprise me, but for him the best part of romance is in the everyday gestures of love and caring and in buying me things that I need. He puts a lot of effort into planning our vacations too.
The best part of living together for this long is that we’ve learned to accept each other’s craziness. I’m certain José’s list will be double the length of mine, but who cares, he’s stuck with me!
If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life and Everyday Gyaan give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up between Friday and Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.
Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.
Prompts for this week:
- Write about something you always think ‘what if…’ about
- Valentine’s Day – yay or nay?
- 5 things that irritate you about your partner
- “Do one thing every day that scares you” – Eleanor Roosevelt. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
- Picture Prompt (credit: http://everydaygyaan.com)
Our featured writer last week was Mithila for her favourite writing book. You can be our featured writer too. All you need to do is write on one of the prompts and link up below. Remember to read other posts and share the love. Don’t forget to come back on Monday and vote for your favorite post!
Image of older married couple via Shutterstock
Congrats on completing ten years of marriage Corinne…You are truly blesses to have a loving husband like him – despite the flaws you mentioned…..:)
I am blessed, Sunaina. The ‘flaws’ are part of a great package. 😉
Congratulations on celebrating a decade of togetherness, Corinne! This was such a fun post to read!
Thanks, Mayuri. I’m still waiting for J’s comments!
Happy Anniversary once again, Corinne. It’s so wonderful to find someone who gets us. So happy that you have one. Now as for the habits. Well, S is very, very lazy and that is one thing that annoys me a lot. Sometimes he just won’t get up no matter what. The other thing is that he doesn’t gossip. When I pour my heart out on how someone is hurting me, he won’t say the words that I want to hear. Though I must admit what I want to hear are not entirely sane words 😉
But yes, he gets me too and that’s why I guess it has been a good almost 11 years together.
Thanks, Nabanita. We’re the lucky ones.
Jose loves his sleep too, but since he’s in bed before me and doesn’t wake up to read at night, he’s usually the first one awake and makes the coffee. 🙂
Happy 10th Anniversary Corinne. How awesome is it to go on a vacation to celebrate the special day. Being together for 10 years and having good things to talk about (in addition to the irritating ones, of course :D) each other means so much. Reading this post makes me feel happier.
Thanks, Anamika. The irritating ones were more in response to the prompt! ];)
Happy anniversary! Great to have that one person who totally gets you, even if they’re annoying at times!
Thanks, Ness. And you’re right.
Everyone has their own quirks. But to be able to find someone who accepts the nuttiness AND STILL loves you… that is the key. Happy 10th… looking forward to the blogpost at the 20th too 🙂
Oh yes, Roshan. Thank you. We’re aiming for 50 at least, notwithstanding we might be wheel chair bound! 😉
Sanchie @ Living my Imperfect Life
Happy 10 years Corinne! Lovely post and I have a lot to learn from you 🙂
First of all happy ten years of getting each other 😀 And I know you won’t be surprised if I told you every single word applies to me 🙂
Happy 10th you to both. It was so good to see you out there on social media sharing updates and pictures. Absolutely lovely.
Also, this side also has some similar things that get my goat 😉 Fun post and I did not know it will turn this way. I was so looing forward to read a love filled post. Though this is love too – oops, this is real love. 😀
Happy Belated 10th Anniversary, Corinne! Most of those negatives about José sound more like positives. 🙂 “He gets me” is probably the best thing one can say about a life partner. Congratulations to you both.
We all want this one thing in our partner, that they get us and love us with all our quirks! Many many congratulations on your 10th anniversary. Wishing you and José many more years of happiness! Saw your wonderful Goa pics on instagram 🙂 Must have been lovely to celebrate where you’d gotten married.
Yup, all completely right on and true!