When I talk about finding positivity during chaos, I am actually talking about trying to be positive during the inner turmoil that happens within each one of us, when we go through stressful situations and are tackling our inner demons.
Finding Positivity During Chaos
Since the past five years, my life has been thrown into chaos for various reasons, some of which, I willingly chose to go through and some things that crash landed in my life and has a left a huge crater of confusion, depression and negativity strewn around.
Whenever we come across stressful situations, our initial reaction is anger, frustration, negative thoughts and we end up asking the question, ‘Why me?’
I had this same reaction, when I realised that I can never have my own biological child. The best way I could handle was writing about my pain, in order to help others like me, who didn’t know how to deal with this situation.
I never knew that so many people will get in touch with me after reading my blog. I never knew that my words gave them the courage to come forward and talk about their own pain.
- Sharing my grief on my blog was my first step towards positivity. Sharing not only lightened the burden, it also gave me the opportunity to help others to become more positive and find the courage to face situations. I realised that I was not alone and that gave me a big dose of positivity.
- Identifying negative thoughts helps me to stop from getting bitter.
- To handle the stress effectively, I started practising Yoga and meditation. It helped to calm my mind and to reduce my anger. I am able to concentrate much better on the tasks at hand.
- I have surrounded myself with friends, especially ones who make me laugh.
- There are still days when things look very bleak and I know I am slowly sliding towards the darkness, I pick up the phone and call my family who have been a source of strength for me on many such days.
- I have also been trying to have positive conversations with myself. I am learning not to say those things to myself that I will never say to others. I am learning to change my negative thoughts by asserting what good I have in me.
- Finally realising and accepting the fact that sometimes things are not under my control.
Being positive even in chaos cannot happen magically, it takes time and a lot of practice and patience. After all, learning to be positive at all times is a habit and learning a new habit always takes time.
The first step towards learning to be positive is accepting that there is a need for change and then taking the first step towards that change.
When we are no longer able to change a situation – we are challenged to change ourselves. ~ Viktor Frankl
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. ~ Viktor Frankl
Vinita owns “The Scribbling Pad”, a Content Writing and Editing Company. She is also an avid blogger, and blogs under the name “Lazy Pineapple”. She has completed her MBA in Marketing and a Diploma in Advertising and Public Relations. Vinita helps organizations build up their brand images through effective content writing for their websites and ad campaigns. She also edits and rewrites MBA admission essays and SOP’s for students planning to study abroad.