“Instructions for living a life.
Tell about it.”
― Mary Oliver
Today I’m 50! Happy birthday to me.
What better way to celebrate it than to recall all I’ve learned a half century of living on this our beautiful Earth. You might find some of them seemingly contradictory, but they’re really not!
50 Life Lessons From 50 Years Of Living
- You are on this Earth school so that your soul can prepare for the next phase of living. Be open to all learning.
- At the end of your life you want to be proud of the choices you’ve made. Make good choices.
- If you have made poor choices, own them and imbibe the lessons they were meant to teach you.
- Life is no picnic, but neither is it a drudge. Learn to enjoy every aspect of it.
- You get to write your own life story. Make it a bestseller!
- You are responsible for your life. Don’t let it be hijacked by anyone else. Put yourself first.
- Never apologize for being who you are.
- Invest time getting to know yourself. Remember, you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.
- Sing in the shower. Happiness is an inside job. Choose to be happy.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. I promise you that the world won’t come to an end if you wear your clothes inside out in public!
- There’s nothing better than a good belly laugh. Laugh often.
- Plan for the future, but live in the moment.
- Don’t let your past dictate your present choices.
- There are mean people in this world. Learn to deal with them skillfully.
- There are good people in the world. Make sure you connect with more of them.
- Give of your time and presence to others.
- Value your time and let people know that you do.
- Be punctual. Don’t waste other people’s time because you can’t be better organized.
- Take nothing for granted – not even the air you breathe.
- Be grateful for everything. Gratitude will see you through a lot of difficult times.
- Take care of yourself. The world owes you nothing.
- The Universe is very benevolent. Learn to plug into its resources.
- Practice mindfulness. Self-awareness is the key to living a mindful life.
- Be kind. Your acts of kindness especially when done with no expectation of reward, will bring much soul satisfaction.
- Be open to love. There’s always that one person out there that will get you. Keeping looking for him/her.
- Be God-aware. Know that there’s a Higher Power in control of the Universe.
- Seek intelligent company. Learn to make intelligent and interesting conversation. There’s nothing worse than a bore!
- Realize that everyone is creative. Find your creative outlet/s.
- Practise forgiveness. Forgive yourself and others too.
- Give and you’ll get. (Yes, Mom, I know you told me that!).
- Have dreams and goals. Know when to pursue them and when to let go. Sometimes the best learning is from unfulfilled dreams and unaccomplished goals.
- Know when it is time to let go of a relationship. Believe me, you and the other person will survive (thrive, even!).
- Make time for silliness.
- Money is not the root of evil. Envy often is.
- Get yourself a pet. I’d suggest a dog, naturally.
- Appearances can be deceptive. Learn to look beyond the obvious.
- Don’t trust anyone who is nice all the time.
- Learn to value your own opinion. Take the advice of others, but the final call should be yours.
- Trust your intuition.
- Enjoy the little things – the smell of rain, the sound of birds, the feel of a warm blanket, chocolate…
- Shrouds have no pockets. You can’t take your wealth with you. Be prudent, but never miserly.
- Get a regular massage. You deserve to feel good. Drink plenty of water too.
- Live in grace, never in guilt.
- Be comfortable with your emotions – they are only indicators of what’s going on within you.
- Count up to 10 before you write an angry letter, email or social media update. Run it by a trustworthy person before you send/publish it.
- Take regular naps. Rest your body – it’s good for your soul.
- Make room for awe – a sunset, a baby’s birth, a baby’s smile – let them fill you with awe.
- Remember that you haven’t seen it all, experienced it all and don’t know it all. Be open to new experiences.
- Life is short. Make it meaningful.
- Reach for your dreams, but remember that every day on this earth can be a dream too. Make it a technicolor one.
And there’s a bonus of 25 quotes which are life lessons in themselves! Enjoy!
- Your life is already a miracle of chance waiting for you to shape its destiny. – Toni Morrison
- A self that goes on changing is a self that goes on living. – Virginia Woolf
- There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, everyone of them sufficient. – Marilynne Robinson
- I think this is how we’re supposed to be in the world -present and in awe.- Anne Lamott
- Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. – Maya Angelou
- Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots. – Elizabeth Gilbert
- What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right. — Albert Einstein
- Think less about what went wrong and more about how you would like it to go right.-Alan Cohen
- You are the hero of your own story – Unknown
- You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean, in a drop.- Rumi
- The only permission, the only validation, and the only opinion that matters in our quest for greatness is our own. – Steve Maraboli
- Your life is your message to the world. Make sure it’s inspiring. – Unknown
- There is more to life than simply increasing its speed. – Mahatma Gandhi
- There is little success where there is little laughter. – Andrew Carnegie
- It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see. – Henry David Thoreau
- A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. -Bruce Lee
- “By seeking and blundering we learn.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Great things are done by a series of small things brought together. – Vincent Van Gogh
- Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows. – Michael Landon
- The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you. – Unknown
- Remember to breathe. It is after all, the secret of life.- Gregory Maguire
- Do something today that your future self will thank you for.- Anonymous
- Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself in your way of thinking.
– Marcus Aurelius
- Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. – Ralph Marston
- Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans. – John Lennon
What are the lessons life is teaching you? Do add to my list. (I creating the draft of life lessons for my 100th birthday! 😉 )
Happy birthday, Corinne! May you be blessed with health and happiness!
Vidya Sury recently posted..Putting the Fun Back in Fundraising #CrowdfundingTips
Thanks a lot, Vidya! Part of the club now!
Corinne Rodrigues recently posted..33 Habits Of Highly Creative People
Wonderful insight, hope and inspriration! Happy Birthday! Welcome to 50!! Be the Rock who keeps on Rolling!
Thanks very much, Kate!
Corinne Rodrigues recently posted..33 Habits Of Highly Creative People
Found In Folsom
Hugs to you for writing this post, Corinne! I agree to almost everything. Your experience/s speaks 🙂
may god give you the strength to sail through the next 50! God Bless!
Just saw this post on Prudhvi’s timeline so I thought I’d pop over and wish you a very happy 50th!
Roshni recently posted..Indian Head Bobble discussed and decoded!
Mike Gardner is The Time Doctor
Happy Birthday Corinne, i can only use one word to describe this post – Awesome
Mike Gardner is The Time Doctor recently posted..How to Spend More Time Offline Even if You Love Cute Puppy Videos
Happy Birthday! I remember my aunt telling me when I entered that decade that it would be one of the best of my life. She was right! Lots of wisdom in the things you shared. Thank you.
I Love this, particularly love number 8 that really resonates with me. Thanks for sharing and happy birthday xx
Pay attention: boy, is that a great thing to live by. I’m surprised at how many people let life pass by without noticing. Of course, every one of the others is profound, too. Many birthday blessings to you, Corinne. xox
CAROL CASSARA recently posted..Through the blinds
Happy birthday! !!! And yes a good belly laugh is remedy for the soul! !
Thank you, Sacha! Yes, I tend to laugh a lot and be silly often! 😉
Lovely lessons Corinne. I read them aloud to VT and we nodded on so many. Thank you for this reminder. Wishing you an awesome year ahead! Know that I admire you so much and though we haven’t met, I feel there is so much connection ! Hugs 🙂
Parul recently posted..To #GetAirtel4G, Simply Tweet
Quite an inspirational post Corrinne.Happy 50th birthday .:-)
Author N recently posted..Meera Weds Vasu Part 4
Thank you! Glad you liked it!
Corinne Rodrigues recently posted..50 Life Lessons From 50 Years
Lovely post. It’s a shame we don’t teach these lessons in school. Happy birthday.
Beautiful Corinne ! pray that every dream of yours come true ! thanks for sharing !
G Angela recently posted..HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY!
Happy birthday. It is a pity we get wiser as we get older and not the other way round. Enjoy the next decade.
Such amazing life lessons which all come with experience. Agree with all of them. Thanks for inspiring 🙂
Happy 50th birthday, Corinne and here’s to the next 50! Cheers 🙂
Shilpa Garg recently posted..Tornado Giveaway : Jaya
Loved it! Very much agree with #20 (just trying to fit in) but disagree slightly with #34. And just when I was heaving a sigh of relief at the end of the bonus lessons, I get sucked into your draft for the 100th!! Nice! Much love your way.
Subhorup Dasgupta recently posted..New, Improved, Same Old Art
Happy 50th Birthday, I agree with all of these – especially #12 and #33 and #40
There is not enough ‘silliness’ in the world!!
Diana recently posted..Loving Life, Crochet and Yarn…
Darla M Sands
Happy birthday! I like the saying that shrouds do not have pockets. I’m not sure what I could add to this comprehensive list. Thank you for sharing!
Darla M Sands recently posted..Stereotyped Women a la 1989
Many many happy returns of the day Corrine..I’m going to bookmark this and also wait for the next 50 in due course 🙂
nabanita recently posted..We, The Traffic Virgins!
Great post and very useful advice for any age. Happy Belated Birthday!
Tammy recently posted..AfterShave Balm
Happy fiftieth Corinne… loved the post… esp point 49 🙂
Am getting inspired to do a similar post when I get to 50 too 🙂 Cheers and keep flashing that lovely radiant smile of yours always 🙂 Much love…
Archana Kapoor recently posted..Forty Winks
Happy 50th birthday Corinne :). Each of those life lessons are so important. Truly inspirational :D.
Happy 50th year of learning to you. What a way to look at years that are given us! I felt so connected with 14&15. They’re like two sides of the same coin and kind of summarises our experiences with people.
I’m over 50, and I sing in my car, and love a regular pedicure (didn’t have my first until after 50!) Absolutely fabulous list and what a great list of bonus quotes at the end! Thanks! Sharing!
There are so many good things said here….I have to read them every now and then…to keep the positive spirit up and going…..Best wished always….:)